Last week I had a bit of a manic week trying to keep the mobile project on track. On Tuesday night Sean and I were up till after midnight trying to get the 'master' phone image ready to be shipped away the next day. We had one TyTN II phone and we were setting up all the programs and settings up on that, and Gaist have now used that to copy onto all the new phones that the kids will get on Wednesday.
The next day I spent all my spare time (and quite a bit of class time too) trying to organise couriers etc. My break time was spent on the phone to Gaist and half my lunchtime was spent dealing with the courier (a very nice Australian man who pointed out that his school in Australia made all the parents have a computer with internet connection. It was a private school though). On Thursday I stayed at home and slept to recover - I can't cope with overdoing things any more. My fifth years quite happily started the new SQA coursework task without me!
Anyway, we will be getting the phones this week from Gaist. On Wednesday evening we are having a parents night to tell them all about the project, get contracts signed, and distribute the phones. I'm hoping it goes really well. The kids are starting to get excited about it again after the long wait to finally get to this stage.
Last night I got round to installing Visual Studio on my computer (I splashed out recently on legit educational copies of that and Office 2007). I managed to do the Int 2 Computing coursework task in about half an hour, so I'm now quite happy my pupils will manage it. It won't be too easy for them, which is good. It's similar to tasks we've been doing in class, but they're going to have to think hard to join up everything they've learned.
This morning I thought I'd have a play about with Visual Studio's ability to create projects for mobile devices. It's brilliant!! I just set up the objects on the form and copied and pasted the code from my coursework task project and it worked! I tried it on an emulator first, and then on the phone. As you can see I'll need to figure out how to round to two decimal places, but hey never mind - it's not on the marking scheme!
I had read about programming for Pocket PC and though that it was quite restrictive. The book said you couldn't have buttons, for example. I am amazed how easy it really is though! I now have a CAB file with my program running on it :-)
I really wish the timing of the mobile project was better. We are just finishing programming and really should move onto the next topic when all we will want to do is play about programming for the new phones!