Finally, a long year after the mobile learning project was conceived and agreed upon, we have now ordered the phones. Two weeks ago I emailed the final confirmation for 31 HTC TyTN II devices and 1Gb memory cards. The devices include unlimited data and the kids can choose to top in money if they want to use it as a phone outside of school.
We are looking at getting the 'image' ready now, so that we set up one phone with all the software and settings then use that to setup all the other phones really quickly.
We're aiming to have a parents meeting the first week back after the October break to dish out all the handsets and have contracts signed.
...Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be simple and straight forward. The purchasing department is finally happy, the company has been approved as a supplier, the purchase order is signed, I believe the phones are sitting waiting to be sent to us, but the Council has struck again. We are now being told by a different department that we can't get phones from any company other than the Council's mobile phone operator (not the operator we've gone with). We had talked to the council's operator a while ago and they were very clued up technically but couldn't offer us the data package we were after. We're now exploring other options (getting the funding direct from the funders rather than the money going via the Council)
I'm off to London this week to do a presentation at the Handheld Learning conferece. When I applied in June I really didn't think we'd still not have the phones by now :-(